How "Bad Things Happening To Good People" Blessed Me
Over a year ago I wrote my first blog post. This is where the whole journey began. As I get ready to launch my new blog I struggled with publishing this or not. It's not another blog post, it's my testimony. It's amazing what it takes for us to realize there is God. To this day I still have people who will ask me how I overcame my struggles and to this day my answer hasn't change-- I didn't, God did.
Below is the same post I wrote over a year ago.
Earlier this year, I would have categorized my life as being perfect. Until the new year came around and I realized that someone had pulled the rug I was standing on from underneath me. I had two jobs, a glowing GPA, a four year relationship and a stable home, but that all quickly changed as the new year approached.
In only a few short weeks I moved out of my parents house and into a temporary place until the room I was waiting to rent opened up. Had to do some expensive repairs on my car, ended a four year relationship with someone who I found out was unfaithful, renounced my job, fell behind in classes and was in and out of the doctors office.
But everything happens for a reason...
- If I would have never moved out, I would still be taking my AMAZING family for granted.
- If I would have never moved in with his grandparents, I would have never found out he was unfaithful.
- If I would have never had an awful evaluation, I would still be working for someone who didn't value me.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY if I wouldn't have gone through the hardest 8 weeks of my life, I would still be living my life according to my plans-- not Gods.
But through the hardest time of my life, God was there and here is how he blessed me
After watching the movie War Room at a winter church retreat I began journal again and keeping track of my prayers.
Here were my immediate prayers answered after the night at retreat:
- For stability in my home- emotionally, spiritually and financially
- For a better understanding of my boyfriend at the time
- For a house that felt like home
- For inner peace and a lifestyle that portrayed happiness
- To trust God & find happiness through him instead of myself
The next night a few things changed, which made my prayers change to:
- For Strength and Courage
- To live and lead by example
- To better understand God's Plan & what the future holds
- A balance with school
- A healthy mind, soul, heart and body
How God's word encouraged me
"3 You're blessed when you're at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule. 4 You're blessed when you feel you've lost what is most dear to you. Only then can you be embraced by the one most dear to you. 5 You're blessed when you're content with just who you are- no more, no less. That the moment you find yourselves proud owners of everything that can't be bought." Matthew 5: 3-5 (MSG)
"You're blessed when you can show people how to cooperate instead of compete or fight. That's when you discover who you really are, and your place in God's family." Matthew 5:9 (MSG)
"33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and al these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6: 33 & 34 (NIV)
"I'm telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer, for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves." Matthew 6: 44 & 45 (MSG)
"And don't be wishing you were someplace else or with someone else. Where you are right now is God's place for you. Live and obey and love and believe right there." Corinthians 7:17 (MSG)
"Every in the world is about to be wrapped up, so take nothing for granted. Stay wide-awake in prayer. Most of all love each other as if your life depended on it. Love makes up for practically anything. Be quick to give a meal to the hungry, a bed to the homeless-- cheerfully. Be generous with the different things God gave you, passing them around so all get in on it: if words, let it be God's words: if help let it be serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen" 1 Peter 4:7-11 (MSG)
"The end of a matter is better than its beginning and patience is better than pride. Don not be quickly proved in your spirit for anger resides in the lap of fools. Do not say "Why were the old days better than these?" For it is not wise to ask such questions. Ecclesiastes 7:8-10 (NIV)
"I can do all this through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13 (NIV)
"On a good day, enjoy yourself; On a bad day, examine your conscience. God arranges for both kinds of days so that we won't take anything for granted." Ecclesiastes 7:14 (MSG)
- Mom, for always looking after my heart, health and happiness
- Dad, for reassuring me what a kind loving gentleman looks like everyday
- To all my sisters, for your wise advice, thoughts, vulnerability and reassurance
- To my best friends, for listening to my heavy heart and comforting me every step of the way and of course the late night calls, ice-cream dinners, sleepovers, brunches, laughs and adventures!
The incredible opportunities that came
- Getting involved with different organizations and clubs on campus that share the same values as me (which has given me such peace!)
- A 10 DAY LAST MINUTE VACATION WITH MY BEST FRIEND TO ITALY THIS SPRING BREAK!! (WHOOP WHOOP!)
- And lastly, being able to use my hardships as part of my testimony. Being able to share something so personal with someone, and proving to them that everything is going to be alright, with an incredible God on my side.
"The lifestyle of the fool is right in his own opinion, but wise is the man who listens to advice." Proverbs 12:15
"Instruct the wise and they will be wiser still; teach the righteous and they will add to their learning." Proverbs 9:9